A Buyer is responsible for purchasing materials, supplies or equipment for a business. Duties include negotiating deals with suppliers, researching possible item selections and taking inventory of current products.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma and 3 – 5 years work related experience in a manufacturing environment. Experience in Food Environment preferred.
- Negotiating skills.
- Analytical abilities.
- Organizational skills for efficient office control.
- Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts.
- Solid decision – making skills.
- Able to perform general office lifting and physical requirements.
- Proficient in MS Office; applications.
- Knowledge and experience with MRP systems; Epicor preferred.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the safety and legality of food.
- Negotiates with vendors for the purchase of all materials, supplies, and services.
- Manage min/max inventories of ingredients and packaging materials as a main responsibility.
- Develops new supply sources where needed.
- Establishes account/credit and terms.
- Responsible for creation of all needed purchase orders and respective order confirmations.
- Works closely with Warehouse to ensure proper supplies arrived.
- Traces delinquent arrivals from purchase orders.
- Complies with safety and corporate guidelines on business ethics.
- Work with quality to ensure standards are met and also to ensure proper certification requirements are met: RSPO, Kosher, Organic, etc.
- Works closely with operations, sanitation and maintenance on the purchase of needed operating supplies. Also responsible for tracking on operating suppliers ordered to budget.
- Perform or assist with any operations, as required or directed, to maintain work flow or respond to production requirements.
- Must be able to work additional hours or beyond standard schedule with little or no notice.
- Responsible for ensuring food safety, food defense and compliance with federal, state, local, & other appropriate regulatory laws or guidelines.
- In the absence of the Purchasing Buyer, the Purchasing Manager will be responsible for his/her job functions and responsibilities or distributing those duties as seen fit.
- Performs other duties assigned as required.