Legal Assistant – Litigation
Client seeks an experienced Litigation Legal Assistant. This position performs various legal administrative support duties and delivers high-quality client service, committing to integrity and excellence. The responsibilities include prioritizing, managing, following through on multiple projects, and communicating effectively, courteously, and professionally with clients, attorneys, staff, and peers. Candidates must have a thorough knowledge of the law firm and practice-specific administrative processes and procedures, information technology systems, research tools, and a broad-based understanding of the clients, matters, and associated practices.
- Proven ability and experience handling all administrative support needed to assist attorneys with a sustained record of high-quality work from inception to resolution.
- Using various court filing systems, must have experience filing pleadings in the state by the related court requirements.
- Collaborate with firm-wide departments handling multiple responsibilities, including case opening, conflict checking, billing, training, records, etc.
- Effective oral and written communication skills needed to draft and proofread correspondence, pleadings, and other legal documents.
- Experience tracking firm, attorney, and client expenses and using application software to process reimbursements and payments.
- Knowledge and ability to participate in client billing, including assisting attorneys in entering narratives, tracking billable tasks, making edits, calendaring billing due dates, and delivering bills to clients in electronic and paper forms.
- Schedule state court hearings by court requirements.
- Understand court requirements to calculate deadlines and ensure the attorney and team meet them.
- Schedule client appointments in coordination with the attorney.
- Possess knowledge of special events planning and coordination to organize attorney business development events.
- Managing electronic and paper case files.
- Handling incoming and outgoing mail and other correspondence.
- Answering, screening, directing, and placing telephone calls and emails.
- Consistently deliver outstanding client service and quality.
- The above description describes employees' general nature and work in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
Education and Experience
- Must have five years of law firm experience, preferably as a litigation legal assistant with state court experience.
- Experience working with multiple attorneys is required.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and time constraints.
- Ability to effectively balance assignments and workflow from multiple attorneys.
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple responsibilities and high volume is crucial.
- Strong attention to detail, initiative, and follow-through required.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including clearly expressing thoughts to others and exchanging information.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, vendors, and the public.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including extensive knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel, and experience working with law firm case management and billing software required. Knowledge of FileSite, CMS, SmartTime, and Aderant is a plus.
- Work in collaboration within a group and individually to ensure that clients are satisfied, including the desire to understand client concerns and build trust.
- Work hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., with a one-hour lunch.
- Availability to work Overtime is required from time to time.
- Physical attendance at the place of work.
- Great benefits package includes paid holidays, PTO, 401(k), health benefits, etc.