Legal Assistants perform various administrative tasks, including providing high client service and support while consistently producing an excellent work product. The Assistant maintains general knowledge of the firm’s practice areas and specialized knowledge of the assigned timekeepers and clients to ensure extraordinary client satisfaction.
- Following the Firm’s established document processing methods and procedures, creates, edits, spell checks, and proofreads work product to ensure accuracy and completeness. Accurately transcribes from tapes, handwritten materials, and/or dictation.
- Prepares various forms and creates new documents using the Firm’s Best Practice methods.
- Schedules and maintains timekeepers’ calendars, where appropriate.
- Inputs, reviews, edits, and closes timekeepers’ time entries through the Firm’s time entry program using Firm standards.
- Handles monthly client billing (paper and electronic billing). Review billing prebills for accuracy, completeness, and necessary timekeeper inquiries and narrative edits.
- Prepares timekeepers’ expense reports promptly.
- Arranges for payment of vendor invoices or checks to be drawn and charged to appropriate client/matter numbers.
- Opens new matters and generates client conflict checks.
- Maintains timekeeper’s paper and electronic files, including daily and regular filing. Indexes and prepares files for off-site storage.
- Print and organize documents received in various formats, including emails and attachments.
- Answer the telephone and accurately relay messages. Arranges for video conferencing and set up conference calls.
- Volunteers for overflow work.
- Actively seeks to maximize productivity and promote teamwork.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining the highest level of confidentiality of all Firm and client information, records, and files, both within and outside of the Firm.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Responds to customer/client requests in a professional manner.
- Identifies and responds to client issues/problems promptly and seeks feedback/follow-up as appropriate.
- Meets work deadlines as assigned.
- Adheres to firm standards for attendance and punctuality.
- Meets deadlines for all required firm processes, including timesheets, time entry, and other financial documentation.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Demonstrates dedication to producing quality work products.
- Pays attention to detail when completing work assignments.
- Organizes and prioritizes workload appropriately.
- Utilizes resources appropriately to complete work in the most efficient manner.
- Cooperates and demonstrates flexibility when facing change.
- Interacts effectively and courteously, in person, by telephone, and in writing, with attorneys, supervisors, co-workers, and other business professionals.
- Proactively communicates the status of work.
- Understands the need to ask questions and seek guidance.
- Expresses thoughts accurately and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Builds effective relationships with coworkers.
- Participates and contributes fully as a team member.
- Utilizes technology to carry out job responsibilities.
- Microsoft applications.
- SAP Concur
- Smart Time
- Determines the most appropriate technology to accomplish a task.
- Seeks ways to utilize technology to improve efficiency.
- Five 5+ years of law firm office experience preferred.
- Real Estate and Condominium law helpful.
- Excellent grammar, spelling, punctuation, and communication skills.
- Attention to detail and good organizational and analytical skills.
- Flexible attitude and the ability to deal well with changing assignments and priorities.
- Flexible for overtime.
- Core hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with flexibility for overtime as needed.
- Physical attendance at the place of work.